I am planning a series of summer science camps in April-May 2018.
Will be conducting a 6 week program for children in the Words Work Library and Children’s Center in Lakedew residency, Harlur, Bangalore.
Well, the topic of science is incidental. The real objective of the camp is to instill a love for learning, critical thinking and appreciation for collaboration in young minds.
The ‘why of StableBow‘ can explain more about this thinking.
Key facts about the program:
- Topic: Paradox of Pressure
- Includes study of pressure … the effect on fluids and gases. The not so obvious intuition behind Pascal’s principle and Boyle’s law
- 6 sessions from April 20th – May 6th
- Friday and Sunday 9:00 – 10:30 AM
- For children ~9-14 years / classes 5-8
- The sessions will be in the Words Work Library and Children’s Center, Lakedew Residency, Harlur (directions click here)
- Fees Rs. 1,500 per child
- Contact Radha or click here to register
There will be a lot more happening than just the topic at hand. The experience and interactions will be much more crucial than the content itself. For example see this one on Pascal’s principle and another on waves.
Over 6 weeks, children will EXPLORE, EXPERIMENT, EXPERIENCE and EXPRESS in this journey of learning. Kids can expect three things …
- Learn to Learn (EXPLORE) … discussion on learning concepts such as Growth vs Talent Mindset and Deliberate Practice
- Creation. Build a Project (EXPLORE, EXPERIMENT and EXPERIENCE) … teams of 2-3 will build a project (say a ‘hydraulic mechanism’). In the process appreciating the application of physics, challenges of coming up with original ideas, facing the obstacles of building / tinkering with real things and above all working as a team
- Critically Analyze and Synthesize (EXPLORE and EXPRESS) … we will watch small movie clips, critically analyze the layers/nuances (camera angles, sound, expressions, story telling etc.) and articulate those ideas. Kids love this
Please see the following links to understand more about StableBow and the program. Of course, we can talk more when we meet in the introduction session on Dec 16th.
- The thinking behind Stable Bow and the inspiration
- Discussion on what the program is about and what is it not
- Conversations with the children on Archimedes’ principle and Pascal’s principle
- Experiments we did to understand the above principles
- Discussions we had on Growth Mindset vs Talent Mindset
- Various projects the children designed, the debates and the creative struggles
- Some interesting activities we did, including analyzing movies
- Finally the presentation to parents, the celebration at the end and lot’s of feedback
Radha and the team are so passionate about creating a special environment for children in and around Lakedew.
I am excited to add to it.